Necessary Insurance for Nurses
What is errors-and-omissions insurance, do I need it, and where can I buy it?
Errors-and-omissions insurance is professional liability insurance and protects you in case you are sued for financial damages resulting from an error or omission in your work. I recommend that you purchase it. You can purchase the insurance at http://www.nso.com.
Mistakes and omissions
- Mistakes and omissions made in a report can cause a financial loss for your client.
- The client can sue you for that financial loss.
- This insurance will provide you with legal support and pay the claim (up to the limits of the policy) if you receive a judgment against you.
- The cost is the policy is reasonable. Total cost is about $25.00 per year. It is a rider to your professional liability (malpractice) insurance.
- The program is underwritten by American Casualty Company of Reading, Pennsylvania and is offered through the Healthcare Providers Service Organization Risk Purchasing Group.
I recommend that all legal nurse consultants purchase errors-and-omissions insurance.